and like his top ten web mistakes, this is a must read.
As usual, there are some things I agree with and will think about doing:
- Author Biography and photo
- Classic hits are buried
- Mixing topics
Some things that don’t work for me:
- nondescript titles (this makes sense for my other blogs, but not for this one)
Some things I’m already doing (I think):
- links say where they go
- The calendar is the only navigation
- Irregular posting schedule
- Forgetting that you write for your future boss
- having a domain name owned by a blogging service
The problem is that fixing these mistakes is also an issue for the blogging software writers (unlike his web mistakes list). iBlog will let me fix some of this. I can certainly create new blogs and add biographic info to my templates. The classics are a little tougher, but still possible.
I think the one thing I’m missing that would address some of this is the ability to generate RSS feeds for each category instead of the blog as a whole. This way if you only want my restaurant reviews, you can just subscribe to that feed. I think that is actually better than creating a dozen different blogs for everything I may want to ever discuss since each one would get updated pretty sporadically…